Topic Options
#70416 - 08/31/08 10:30 AM Feeding Oil - Corn vs. Vegetable?
Leez Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Oakville, ON CANADA
I have been feeding my horse 1/2 cup oil daily for added fat.

Since I started doing this, I have been feeding corn oil. I always thought this was the "correct" oil choice - but why?

Is there an advantage to feeding corn oil vs vegetable oil? The fat content of each is exactly the same - but vegetable oil is MUCH cheaper!

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
#70417 - 08/31/08 12:47 PM Re: Feeding Oil - Corn vs. Vegetable?
Gryphon Equine Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Toronto and Raleigh
From a calorie standpoint - fat is fat. They all have the same calories. Differences among fats depend on the actual chemical composition - like some fats are more saturated, some are more unsaturated, some have more omega 3 fatty acids.

So - if you're just looking for added calories, go for the cheap stuff.
If you're looking for some potential anti-inflammatory benefit associated with the omega-3s you should be looking into some fish oil or at least flax (linseed) oil.

Read: Understanding your Horse's Weight - by Dr. Shannon Pratt-Phillips
#70418 - 08/31/08 01:01 PM Re: Feeding Oil - Corn vs. Vegetable?
antiques Offline
Preliminary Member
Last winter when I was buying my large container of oil at Sam's Club, I did compare the fat percentage of vegetable,corn and canola and canola had the highest. Then two weeks later I read an article that said canola packs the highest amount, sorry, not sure where I read the article. Good Luck.
#70419 - 08/31/08 06:19 PM Re: Feeding Oil - Corn vs. Vegetable?
Leez Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Oakville, ON CANADA
Thanks guys -

I'm only looking for added calories, and I do already feed ground flax in addition to the oil.

So I think I'll switch to a cheaper oil!
#70420 - 08/31/08 09:25 PM Re: Feeding Oil - Corn vs. Vegetable?
Miss Lexus Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Go with vegetable oil! Fat is fat. My horses get 1 cup vegetable oil/day for the added fat + extra calories. Corn oil often makes horses hot and I found it to be better when trying to put weight on a horse. You say it's the same fat content, but there is something about the composition of corn oil that makes it a "hotter" oil to feed. Vegetable oil is harmless, just cool energy and it's cheaper! [img]http://www.equiman.com/cgi-bin/ubb/smile.gif[/img]
#70421 - 08/31/08 10:04 PM Re: Feeding Oil - Corn vs. Vegetable?
Piaffing Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Miss Lexus:
Go with vegetable oil! Fat is fat. My horses get 1 cup vegetable oil/day for the added fat + extra calories. Corn oil often makes horses hot and I found it to be better when trying to put weight on a horse. You say it's the same fat content, but there is something about the composition of corn oil that makes it a "hotter" oil to feed. Vegetable oil is harmless, just cool energy and it's cheaper! [img]http://www.equiman.com/cgi-bin/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

This is a myth. Corn oil does not make horses hot.
www.dressagelife.com
#70422 - 09/01/08 02:25 PM Re: Feeding Oil - Corn vs. Vegetable?
Miss Lexus Offline
Grand Prix Member
Actually, yes it can make a horse hot. Depending on the horse and how much your giving. This is not true for all horses! You can't make a single rule for everything. Everyone is different.
#70423 - 09/01/08 02:41 PM Re: Feeding Oil - Corn vs. Vegetable?
Miss Lexus Offline
Grand Prix Member
My vet told me to use vegetable oil for that reason, especially if you're feeding a thoroughbred. They don't need to be more peppy!
#70424 - 09/04/08 10:35 AM Re: Feeding Oil - Corn vs. Vegetable?
meredithkate Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Oakville
I came across an interesting article published by SciencePure Nutraceuticals Inc. (the makers of Pureform Equine Products) regarding corn oil’s detrimental effect on equine performance, and the benefits of feeding flax.

Of particular relevance:

Unsaturated oils such as, Corn, canola, soybean etc., will contain about 9 calories per gram. One cup weighs about ½ pound or about 225 grams, so that's 2025 calories right there (9 x 225). Now wasn't that easy? But wait a minute, Kentucky Equine Research recently completed a study comparing rice bran, corn oil and dried animal fat with respect to two specific parameters limiting performance, heart rate and lactic acid levels. The horses on the corn oil diet had higher heart rates and levels of lactic acid at full gallops than all other categories including the placebo group. So although corn oil may aid in maintaining your horses weight, it will detract from its performance.

When we evaluate sources of fat there are a number of issues to be concerned with but we will just deal with one important one for now. It concerns the content and ratios of the different types of fatty acids in a fat source. There are basically two broad classes of fats, saturated and unsaturated. There are a number of unsaturated fats, but the most significant from a health benefit standpoint, are the polyunsaturated essential fatty acids - linoleic acid (LA), an omega 6 fatty acid and alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), an omega 3 fatty acid and they need to be in balance. For high performance athletes this balance should probably be about 1:1. However, equine diets are currently providing about a 20:1, LA: ALA ratio.

The chemistry of the fats in soybean and canola oil is different from that of corn oil, in that the ratio of LA: ALA is about 4:1. If the ALA has been preserved in processing the canola or soybean oil, then it should not be assumed that these oils would have a similar detrimental effect on performance as corn oil. Although these oils are not expensive, this is a very big if and the inclusion of these oils in the diet still won't get our LA: ALA ratio near 1:1.

Is there an economical way to obtain fat, yet also improve performance? Absolutely! The only source of naturally occurring oil offering higher alpha-linolenic acid levels than linoleic acid is flax. Flax is not new to horses. So what's the big deal you say? Well, lets go over the basics; fully mature Canadian flax will have a fat content of at least 35 %. But by far the greatest advantage is the unique fatty acid profile of flax. 57 % of the fatty acid content consists of ALA at about a 4:1 ratio to LA. This is HUGE, because ALA has a HUGE positive impact on performance for all athletes.

The following benefits attributed to ALA, have solid scientific research behind them
* Anti-inflammatory properties * Immune system enhancing properties
* Increased Energy production * Recovery from fatigue
* Lowered blood pressure

Balance of article available at: http://www.pureformequinehealth.com/articles/flaxhorse.pdf
#70425 - 09/04/08 12:03 PM Re: Feeding Oil - Corn vs. Vegetable?
Miss Lexus Offline
Grand Prix Member
That's a very interesting article! Thanks for that. Does anyone happen to know if feeding ground flax seeds would be the same as feeding flax oil?
#70426 - 09/04/08 03:44 PM Re: Feeding Oil - Corn vs. Vegetable?
meredithkate Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Oakville
Miss Lexus:

Fresh pressed flax oil must be refrigerated, and even so – it soon turns rancid. I feed approximately 1 lb (4 cups) of Brooks Flax Appeal (stabilized ground flax seed and soybeans) to my TB gelding every night. Brooks recommends between 1 – 2 lbs of Flax Appeal fed daily for weight gain, or a smaller amount for a shiny coat & overall good health. Each cup of flax weighs roughly ¼ lb.

As I understand from a friend, thoroughbred racetrack trainers often feed whole flax seeds that have been soaked in water overnight. That said, in the article mentioned above, it noted that the flax seed coat must be cracked or cut up to allow the digestive system access to the oil and other nutrients, otherwise the whole seed just flies right through their digestive system. I read somewhere that it is possible to grind the seed with a coffee grinder or something to that affect, so long as the ground flax is fed soon after. When flax seed oil is exposed to oxygen, light or excessive heat it oxidizes and becomes rancid. I used to buy ground flax in small batches from Bulk Barn but soon made the switch to a stabilized prepared feed for ease & convenience.

The equine nutritionist at the Country Depot suggested feeding oil or flax, and that there was no need for both. I feed my bony TB both. =P
#70427 - 09/04/08 04:13 PM Re: Feeding Oil - Corn vs. Vegetable?
Miss Lexus Offline
Grand Prix Member
meredithkate:

Thanks so much for the info! That's what I was thinking, buying ground flax in small amounts at bulk barn. Why do you prefer the Brook's flax appeal? And do you buy that at Country Depot. Just curious, what does your tb's diet consist of. I also have a tb, she used to be thin but isn't really anymore. I am just curious as to what you feed yours though.
#70428 - 09/07/08 09:48 AM Re: Feeding Oil - Corn vs. Vegetable?
drumdoch23 Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Canada
For the poster who says that fat is fat:

this is simply not true.

Corn oil has a MUCH different ratio of omega 3 : omega 6. I have to check but I believe the omega 3s are too high... MUCH too high.

flax oil is a better choice... keep your 3s and 6s in order, and you'll be well on your way.
#70429 - 09/07/08 02:34 PM Re: Feeding Oil - Corn vs. Vegetable?
Gryphon Equine Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Toronto and Raleigh
Quote:
Originally posted by drumdoch23:
For the poster who says that fat is fat:

this is simply not true.

Corn oil has a MUCH different ratio of omega 3 : omega 6. I have to check but I believe the omega 3s are too high... MUCH too high.

flax oil is a better choice... keep your 3s and 6s in order, and you'll be well on your way.

From a calorie standpoint - Fat is Fat (look up the calories for both and you'll see that all are very similar). I do state that they differ in their omegas. It depends on what you are feeding for - if just calories, as many do feed oil just to add some weight, might as well go for the cheap stuff. If you are looking for omegas (for potential immune/anti-inflammatory benefit) - you should really go with fish oil. But flax is a decent (and more palatable) second choice.

Read: Understanding your Horse's Weight - by Dr. Shannon Pratt-Phillips
#86450 - 10/28/08 08:19 PM Re: Feeding Oil - Corn vs. Vegetable? [Re: Gryphon Equine]
Horses4lifeXx Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Ontario, Canada
This it kinda confusing.. i read on Eqquisearch (spelling) that corn oil was best to feed horses cuz it was the best digestible and had the same amount as fat as most oils... i guess all oils have there good point and bad points though.
#88084 - 11/01/08 08:47 PM Re: Feeding Oil - Corn vs. Vegetable? [Re: Horses4lifeXx]
tiki123 Offline
Grand Prix Member
I would go with Gryphon Equine - equine nutritionists - the "experts" - really good and free advice!
#88085 - 11/01/08 08:50 PM Re: Feeding Oil - Corn vs. Vegetable? [Re: tiki123]
MaxwellsMamma Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Georgetown
I personally like to feed Rice Oil
#92121 - 11/11/08 05:27 PM Re: Feeding Oil - Corn vs. Vegetable? [Re: Miss Lexus]
MLP Offline
Preliminary Member
Loc: King City, Ontario, Canada
We have been feeding our gang sunflower oil for over a year now, and they look fantastic! It really seemed to help! Everyone is really shiny and the hard keepers have a bit more of a bloom to them as well.

Moderator:  Tandy, tbowner 
Sponsors
Connect with us on:
Visit EMG on Facebook

Please Support our Gracious Sponsors.
RAM Equestrian  Leons Orangeville  Greenhawk
Horseware Ireland  Henry Equestrian Plan  Synoil
Albion Golf Cars  Alberta Premium  Bahr Saddlery
Best Western  Brooks Performance Feeds  Bruno DelGrange Sellerie
Cairns  Champion Shavings  Coldwell Banker
CDW  Equestrian Factory Outlet  Equine Canada
Green Tractors  HFH Inc.  Horse Sport