Topic Options
#551766 - 02/04/14 08:37 AM Ecogold vs Ogilvy?
scrawford14 Offline
Preliminary Member
Loc: Kingston, Ontario
I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the Ecogold triple protection pad? If so, what do you think of it compared to ogilvy's?
Any input is appreciated smile
thanks!
#551770 - 02/04/14 08:52 AM Re: Ecogold vs Ogilvy? [Re: scrawford14]
jaspur Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: York Region, ON
I love my Ecogold pad and so does my horse! Great for both our backs. Very protective without being too thick. Very durable and has held up well for us. Pricey, but good value IMO. Two thumbs up!
#551790 - 02/04/14 11:17 AM Re: Ecogold vs Ogilvy? [Re: scrawford14]
phylwar Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Ontario Canada
I have had both and now prefer my EquineLux pad
it is better and cheaper
#551797 - 02/04/14 12:09 PM Re: Ecogold vs Ogilvy? [Re: scrawford14]
Cavalo Offline
Grand Prix Member
I've had both. Ogilvy first and then got an EcoGold. I like the Ecogold much better and sold my Ogilvy. The Ecogold isn't as thick. If your saddle fits properly in regards to tree width an Ogilvy wont work. I didn't like the feeling of a pillow between my horse and I and I found on horses without a huge wither that my saddle felt like it would roll.

I believe Ecogold was owned by a couple that have now split and EquineLux is now the other half.
#551812 - 02/04/14 01:30 PM Re: Ecogold vs Ogilvy? [Re: scrawford14]
bxrgurl Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: GTA
I compared them recently and ended up buying an EquineLux. Less expensive and I wasn't crazy about the shims on the EcoGold.
#551816 - 02/04/14 01:42 PM Re: Ecogold vs Ogilvy? [Re: bxrgurl]
jaspur Offline
Grand Prix Member
The Ecogold I have is THIS half pad. It doesn't have any shims.
#551817 - 02/04/14 01:43 PM Re: Ecogold vs Ogilvy? [Re: phylwar]
ehNZed Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Toronto
Originally Posted By: phylwar
I have had both and now prefer my EquineLux pad
it is better and cheaper

I would imagine wholesale price would be cheaper than EcoGold retail price! wink

Why are you padding your saddle? If your saddle fits correctly, adding anything thicker than a simple cotton pad is going to result in tightness under the saddle.

I use an UltraThinline half pad for shock absorption and ensure that my saddles always fit perfectly.
#551818 - 02/04/14 01:45 PM Re: Ecogold vs Ogilvy? [Re: scrawford14]
bxrgurl Offline
Grand Prix Member
I was looking for a saddle pad with shims. I don't like the EcoGold shims one bit. If you don't need them, you don't have to worry about it. If you do, the EcoGold shims look awful and cost a fortune.
#551819 - 02/04/14 01:51 PM Re: Ecogold vs Ogilvy? [Re: bxrgurl]
jaspur Offline
Grand Prix Member
Oh ya, you're right - lol. I've never even looked at those ones before until now. Like a big pillow stuck on the side....
#551836 - 02/04/14 04:14 PM Re: Ecogold vs Ogilvy? [Re: scrawford14]
TooMuchChrome Offline
Preliminary Member
I have used an Ogilvy, Ecogold, EquineLux and SaddleRight.

Out of all of them, I liked the Saddleright the most. Lifetime warranty and they look really nice. I still felt as close to the horse as I would have without the pad, and it seems to conform to any horse you use it on (unlike something with memory foam). I don't think it would make a saddle that is too wide fit a narrow horse, though.

I would choose the EquineLux next, and that is what I'm using right now. It's nice how you can cut out the shims to fit the horse's needs, and I still feel just as close to the horse.

Third would be the Ecogold pad. I didn't use the triple protection one, but I used the 'Calmatech Jumper' pad with the halfpad-shaped insert. I felt like it raised me above the horse a little bit too much and I remember it sliding around on the horse.

Fourth is the Ogilvy. I've tried three different ones (2 real ones and 1 Shedrow fake) on three different horses, one of them a jumper and 2 hunters, and they were all horrible! It is literally like sitting in a saddle with a pillow between you and the horse. They look nice for a little while, until they're broken in - then they just look smushed and awful. The worst part is that it still feels like a huge pillow even after it's broken in.

Edited by TooMuchChrome (02/04/14 04:15 PM)
#551840 - 02/04/14 04:30 PM Re: Ecogold vs Ogilvy? [Re: ehNZed]
Blazer & Dusty Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Washago, ON
Originally Posted By: ehNZed
Why are you padding your saddle? If your saddle fits correctly, adding anything thicker than a simple cotton pad is going to result in tightness under the saddle.

I use an UltraThinline half pad for shock absorption and ensure that my saddles always fit perfectly.

My thoughts exactly. I'd rather take the money and get a saddle fitter ... rather than messing around with padding that can shift etc.
#551841 - 02/04/14 04:56 PM Re: Ecogold vs Ogilvy? [Re: Blazer & Dusty]
jaspur Offline
Grand Prix Member
I had my saddle professionally fit twice last year because he changed shape. I have and can ride him without the extra layer of protection but he is definitely more comfortable with it (noticable difference in his way of going). I prefer the protection for his back too. It is not so thick that the saddle shifts at all. The fitter told me it was fine to use it and took it into consideration when doing the work.
#551845 - 02/04/14 05:21 PM Re: Ecogold vs Ogilvy? [Re: scrawford14]
bxrgurl Offline
Grand Prix Member
There are valid reasons to use pads that assist with fit. I don't think it's a good idea for a permanent solution though.

Do you buy a new saddle or have your saddle restuffed if your horse loses tone/weight after being stallbound with an injury? If your horse gains weight and needs to lose it? What do you do while waiting for the fitter to come out and tweak your saddle, just not ride?

We are trying to find someone close by to swap the foam out of a saddle with wool. If the horse isn't worked while waiting for that to happen, the saddle will be fit to an unfit horse. Then it won't fit when he is fit. wink
#551959 - 02/05/14 04:21 PM Re: Ecogold vs Ogilvy? [Re: scrawford14]
AshBerry Offline
Preliminary Member
I have a custom fit saddle and was recommended either the ThinLine pads or the gummy Ogilvy. Both are thinner pads and still absorb extra shock without interfering with saddle or being too bulky.

I use them both regularly. Do not own an Ecogold however so cannot compare to that brand.

Sponsors
Connect with us on:
Visit EMG on Facebook

Please Support our Gracious Sponsors.
RAM Equestrian  Leons Orangeville  Greenhawk
Horseware Ireland  Henry Equestrian Plan  Synoil
Albion Golf Cars  Alberta Premium  Bahr Saddlery
Best Western  Brooks Performance Feeds  Bruno DelGrange Sellerie
Cairns  Champion Shavings  Coldwell Banker
CDW  Equestrian Factory Outlet  Equine Canada
Green Tractors  HFH Inc.  Horse Sport
HorseSmart InternationalIQ Footing  McKee Pownall