Topic Options
#445875 - 03/10/12 10:12 AM Countdown to the Kentucky Derby!
Barn Brat Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Canada
Whose your early favorites?

I know not everyone is a horse racing fan but for those who are it should be quite the race!

I'm personally a big Union Rags fan, especially since I have alwas loved the way Michael Matz trains his horses. For those you don't know Matz, he was on the Amercian Olympic team for show jumping before he became a race horse trainer. He was also the trainer of the beloved Barbaro of course.

Also Hansen is definitely one to watch, a beatiful boy for sure!

56 days!
#445930 - 03/10/12 05:00 PM Re: Countdown to the Kentucky Derby! [Re: Barn Brat]
*Giddy Up* Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Edmonton, AB
Please keep us (or me :P) updated with the dates!

I don't follow racing as I don't have cable, but if I can will stream the big races online.
#445933 - 03/10/12 05:03 PM Re: Countdown to the Kentucky Derby! [Re: Barn Brat]
RainyDay Offline
Grand Prix Member
I can't keep track this early, but once they announce the post positions (the Wednesday before???) I'll have my picks. So, you'll have to wait until May for me!

I'd love to hear knowledgeable people chime in though.
#446011 - 03/10/12 11:00 PM Re: Countdown to the Kentucky Derby! [Re: Barn Brat]
Barn Brat Offline
Grand Prix Member
Yes, usually I am the same way. Always loved horse racing but it was always once they picked the post posistions I'd pick my favs.

My horse barn is really into horse racing, we have quite a few retired and currently racing, and as well as some broodmares in my barn where I work and board my horses so of course we try to keep up with the big races.. Now it's turned into a game of following our favorites through the big races.

Definitely will be an interesting year! And the two favorites this year are two handsome boys. Definitely worth checking out both Hansen and Union Rags.
#446102 - 03/11/12 05:26 PM Re: Countdown to the Kentucky Derby! [Re: Barn Brat]
Shuffled Offline
Grand Prix Member
Here's a blog on twenty contenders to watch in the upcoming weeks. http://triplecrowncountdown.blogspot.com/2012/03/keelermans-kentucky-derby-top-twenty_10.html
#446113 - 03/11/12 07:15 PM Re: Countdown to the Kentucky Derby! [Re: Barn Brat]
EquineEdgeREMT Offline
Preliminary Member
Loc: Greater Toronto Area
If I had to pick someone right now I'd say Hansen, just for the "gorgeous" factor LOL. Also crossing my fingers that Chantal Sutherland picks up a mount ... my $$ going on that one too for the sentimental bet.

There also may be a local contender in Prospective however I'm sure it'll be Contreras in the irons.

http://www.woodbineentertainment.com/Woo...12-a4ff55a0f42e
#446196 - 03/12/12 07:00 AM Re: Countdown to the Kentucky Derby! [Re: Barn Brat]
kizzy Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: ONT
I have been keeping track for about a month now. I play a derby fantasy game online called road to the roses. I was very impressed with Union Rags and Hansen. El Padrino and Creative Cause did not impress me at all when they won there races. To bad Algorithms is out.
#446345 - 03/12/12 04:31 PM Re: Countdown to the Kentucky Derby! [Re: Barn Brat]
Barn Brat Offline
Grand Prix Member
Agreed.. really did like Algorithms..

I also think Prospective is local horse? could be wrong but he may be one to cheer on too smile

Sponsors
Connect with us on:
Visit EMG on Facebook

Please Support our Gracious Sponsors.
RAM Equestrian Greenhawk
HFH Inc.  Henry Equestrian Plan
Best Western    Equine Canada
HorseSmart International  McKee Pownall
Green Tractors  Omega Alpha  PDI
Running Fox  Stonewood Management  System Fence
Champion Shavings  Ampot Portable Toilets  Anteres Sellier France
Bucas  Richvale Saddlery  Long Run Thoroughbred Retirement