Topic Options
#432659 - 12/28/11 11:16 PM Ogilvy vs Ecogold - Again
Lise Offline
Grand Prix Member
I know this has been brought up in the past, but I was hoping we could revisit it.

I am specifically interested in Ogilvy memory foam half pad versus the Ecogold memory foam triple protection half pad.

I have been having a difficult time with saddle fit with my new horse, and I don't have many thousands to spend on a custom right now as I am also a University student...

I know that no pad will make an improperly fitting saddle fit and that I need to continue my search. But I do think that some impact protection would be nice for the horse regardless.

Which of these two would you select, and why?
#432663 - 12/28/11 11:58 PM Re: Ogilvy vs Ecogold - Again [Re: Lise]
CiscoKid Offline
Grand Prix Member
I would go with the Ecogold.

Does memory foam offer impact protection?
#432678 - 12/29/11 09:13 AM Re: Ogilvy vs Ecogold - Again [Re: Lise]
LadyB Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Ontario
My concern is how much Ogilvy effects your saddle fit. They are much thicker than the Ecogolds, which plays witht the fit of your saddle. IMO.

Have you seen the ecogold video for the pressure points?
Check this out.
http://ecogold.blogspot.com/
The first blog is about the saddle pads done with pressure scans, pretty neat.
#432683 - 12/29/11 09:33 AM Re: Ogilvy vs Ecogold - Again [Re: Lise]
CZF Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Hamilton, Ontario
I would suggest taking a look at the cost to reflock your saddle vs. the pad. You might find you get better value and a better fit to just reflock.

I have an Ogilvy, and I do find it a bit bulky under my saddle.
#432684 - 12/29/11 09:48 AM Re: Ogilvy vs Ecogold - Again [Re: Lise]
Against_All_Odds Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Canada
I found the ogilvy half pad affected my saddle fit too much. However I will only buy their baby pads! They are fantastic and really "stick" your saddle where it needs to be!
#432720 - 12/29/11 12:06 PM Re: Ogilvy vs Ecogold - Again [Re: Lise]
L.A.** Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Waterloo,ON
I love my ogilvy, it compresses ALOT when under the saddle to fill in any gaps or spots where the saddle doesnt fit properly. Plus I notice a difference with my back. I have some back issues due to injuries and the ogilvy really helps me out.
#432721 - 12/29/11 12:08 PM Re: Ogilvy vs Ecogold - Again [Re: Lise]
Lise Offline
Grand Prix Member
Has anyone used the ecogold memory foam half pad? Does it also add a lot of bulk?

Thanks for the comments so far!
#432736 - 12/29/11 01:13 PM Re: Ogilvy vs Ecogold - Again [Re: Against_All_Odds]
CiscoKid Offline
Grand Prix Member
same
#432745 - 12/29/11 02:01 PM Re: Ogilvy vs Ecogold - Again [Re: Lise]
LadyB Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Ontario
I've never used the half pad, but it does seem thinner than the Ogilvy half pad.

personally I cannot justify the costs of either one of these pads. I only have my ecogold because it was a present. $165 for a saddle pad.. that's a bit extreme IMO. but I do love it.
#432776 - 12/29/11 05:13 PM Re: Ogilvy vs Ecogold - Again [Re: Lise]
Karosel Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Guelph,Ontario, Canada
I have the ecogold memory foam half pad. I love it. It won't correct major fitting problems, but it corrected a minor problem with my saddle. I've since had the saddle fitter out, and was given the go ahead to keep using my ecogold half pad.
#432823 - 12/29/11 11:12 PM Re: Ogilvy vs Ecogold - Again [Re: Lise]
Barbara_F Offline
Grand Prix Member
If it were my saddle, I would have it re-flocked, and use a Bucas saddle pad. They are very inexpensive (relatively speaking), they are beautifully shaped and well-made and they are currently on sale at Apple Saddlery.

I have used all kinds of saddle pads are they are the best I have found!

p.s. If you really want extra padding, I used the Mattes pads for years and they were excellent too, but VERY pricey. Any padding DOES change the fit of the saddle, so better a well fitted saddle and a simple, quality pad.

#432866 - 12/30/11 11:45 AM Re: Ogilvy vs Ecogold - Again [Re: Lise]
Lise Offline
Grand Prix Member
Thanks everyone.

I confirmed speaking with a saddle fitter last night that even with one of these impact absorbing pads she feels it will cause the saddle to pinch even more as it is already tight in the shoulder area.

I will continue my hunt for a wider saddle.

PS - Current saddle is foam as so many are these days.... so reflocking isn't an option.
#432884 - 12/30/11 01:12 PM Re: Ogilvy vs Ecogold - Again [Re: Lise]
Starflash Online
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Caledon ON
Joe from Canterbury Outpost gave us the same advice. The saddle pad should have a firm but thin density, as its purpose is to absorb sweat, dirt, etc., to keep your saddle clean. It's almost better to have a good baby pad if saddle fit is really exact. Of course, that also assumes that your horse has some muscle in its topline.

We won a sheepskin pad that we'd love to use but the saddle fits so well that the sheepskin pad actually makes it fit worse. So it's on the shelf for now.
#432889 - 12/30/11 01:25 PM Re: Ogilvy vs Ecogold - Again [Re: Lise]
CiscoKid Offline
Grand Prix Member
Originally Posted By: Lise
Thanks everyone.

I confirmed speaking with a saddle fitter last night that even with one of these impact absorbing pads she feels it will cause the saddle to pinch even more as it is already tight in the shoulder area.

I will continue my hunt for a wider saddle.

PS - Current saddle is foam as so many are these days.... so reflocking isn't an option.

I was going to say pretty much the same. There's not much you can do to improve a poorly fit saddle. Pads aren't designed for that purpose.

Some older saddles, although not the cushiest 'modern' leather are EXCELLENT fits for horses. I would try and find something used that 'fits' so you can ride without getting into soreness problems while you search/save for the 'right' saddle.

I likened it to an athlete/runner buying shoes ~ they have to fit and work to reduce wear and tear on the body. IMO the saddle is the most important piece of equipment because is sits right on the horse's back and we use it every ride.

When I used to run, I paid hundreds of dollars for new runners every six months plus orthotics ~ necessarily or I would get injuries.

Anyways ~ good luck finding the right saddle. Once you do have it you'll be glad.
#432903 - 12/30/11 03:19 PM Re: Ogilvy vs Ecogold - Again [Re: Lise]
Companier Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Athens, Ontario
I use an Ogilvy, with front riser inserts to "fill the gaps" where my mare has a strange wither. My saddle is perhaps a hair wide, so the 1/2 pad is making it perfect and comfortable for both of us! There is no slipping of the pad or the baby pad under it, so I know it is secure. Squishes down where it is not needed, as someone else noted. More padding will not help if your saddle is too narrow though. Good luck!

Sponsors
Connect with us on:
Visit EMG on Facebook

Please Support our Gracious Sponsors.
RAM Equestrian  Leons Orangeville  Greenhawk
Horseware Ireland  Henry Equestrian Plan  Synoil
Albion Golf Cars  Alberta Premium  Bahr Saddlery
Best Western  Brooks Performance Feeds  Bruno DelGrange Sellerie
Cairns  Champion Shavings  Coldwell Banker
CDW  Equestrian Factory Outlet  Equine Canada
Green Tractors  HFH Inc.  Horse Sport
HorseSmart InternationalIQ Footing  McKee Pownall