Topic Options
#414036 - 09/13/11 12:41 PM Finishing Touch - how much to feed
rideaddict Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Ancaster
I have decided to add Finishing Touch to my thoroughbred's hi fat hi fibre grain but not sure how much I should be feeding. I see people refer to it as a top dress but in terms of cups, how much would you add to their regular feed. He is 15.3 well built thoroughbred in moderate work. I did read the feed label on the bag but still confused as to how to measure it out.

Any help appreciated.
#414046 - 09/13/11 01:27 PM Re: Finishing Touch - how much to feed [Re: rideaddict]
Cavalo Offline
Grand Prix Member
I'd get the conversions done for what's on the bag. My mare got too much of it and within 2 months had laminitis...
#414050 - 09/13/11 01:43 PM Re: Finishing Touch - how much to feed [Re: rideaddict]
katiiee_xo Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Milton, Ontario, Canada
You could feed anywhere from 1-3 cups. I feed my hard keeper 2 cups at the moment.
#414071 - 09/13/11 03:10 PM Re: Finishing Touch - how much to feed [Re: rideaddict]
spoiler76 Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Freelton, ON
Masterfeeds provides a free measuring cup that will give you the exact amount specified on the bag per serving. Just ask at the feed store where you purchase Finishing Touch.

For weight gain, the serving is two scoops per day (I split into two feedings). I feed one scoop per day for maintenance.
#414074 - 09/13/11 03:20 PM Re: Finishing Touch - how much to feed [Re: rideaddict]
rideaddict Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Ancaster
Thanks everyone
#414137 - 09/13/11 09:12 PM Re: Finishing Touch - how much to feed [Re: rideaddict]
barbella Offline
Grand Prix Member
Cavalo,, May I ask how the conclusion was found that the FT caused the issue with your mare?
#414267 - 09/14/11 01:32 PM Re: Finishing Touch - how much to feed [Re: rideaddict]
Cavalo Offline
Grand Prix Member
It happened this summer when we had that huge drought. It was the only variable that changed, since the grass was dying (she was on spring grass earlier in the year with no issues) and my vet looked at the bag and how much the BO was giving her and it was about 3 times the recommended amount...I keep kicking myself for not doing the conversion myself.
#414334 - 09/14/11 08:01 PM Re: Finishing Touch - how much to feed [Re: rideaddict]
Blazer & Dusty Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Washago, ON
I generally feed (or recomend) 1 to 2 cups daily smile Start with a third of a cup and increase to the amount that you want over the course of at least 10 days.
#414616 - 09/16/11 11:49 AM Re: Finishing Touch - how much to feed [Re: Cavalo]
*ATTM* Offline
Grand Prix Member
Originally Posted By: Cavalo
It happened this summer when we had that huge drought. It was the only variable that changed, since the grass was dying (she was on spring grass earlier in the year with no issues) and my vet looked at the bag and how much the BO was giving her and it was about 3 times the recommended amount...I keep kicking myself for not doing the conversion myself.

NSC in pasture will spike when the grass/weeds are stressed, when there is a drought your NSC in pasture will shoot right up. Same with when you first cut it, when there is varying termperatures or when a field is overgrazed... gotta love NSC rolleye
#414683 - 09/16/11 07:46 PM Re: Finishing Touch - how much to feed [Re: *ATTM*]
hrslvr Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Ontario
What is NSC?
The same thing happened to one of my horses a number of years ago. Laminitis during a drought in a horse that had never had problems with lush grass. I thought it was because the grass that survived the drought was white clover.
#414718 - 09/17/11 12:11 AM Re: Finishing Touch - how much to feed [Re: rideaddict]
critterkeeper Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Chatsworth, Ontario
I absolutely love Finishing Touch. Everyone is referring to cups as a form of determining the amount to feed. I have always fed by weight to a maximum amount of 1 pound. Coincidentally 2 1/2 cups weighs about 1 pound. I start out with 1/4 pound daily increasing over 10 days to the required amount. When I first started using Finishing Touch about 6 years ago these were my instructions from the feed mill and this has been my "guide".
#414733 - 09/17/11 08:26 AM Re: Finishing Touch - how much to feed [Re: rideaddict]
ElegantJumpers Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: London, ON
I have a mare currently getting 4lbs/day (over 2 feedings; sometimes as much as 5-6lbs) and she is doing great on it!! She is 17.3hh and is a "recovered" laminitis horse. (She got it from foaling 6 years ago, and has been free of laminitis for just over 4 years now I beleive...? We did catch it right away before any/big changes happened) and it is the ONLY thing I can feed her that doesn't hurt her feet for weight gain (she only requires it when she has a foal at her side). Even though she is "free" of it she is still so sensitive to feed that I can only feed her that with her podium pellets, I have tried many other feeds/supplements and it makes her feet hot and sore within a day if I am not careful so I am quite shocked to see you guys say that is what caused it!! (Sorry it is off topic!)

I weigh all my feed out so I am not able to help with the amounts (as per cups) but I did buy an inexpensive scale at walmart that I have set to "0" with a bucket on it that I use makes it easy to do.
#414753 - 09/17/11 12:19 PM Re: Finishing Touch - how much to feed [Re: hrslvr]
*ATTM* Offline
Grand Prix Member
Originally Posted By: hrslvr
What is NSC?
The same thing happened to one of my horses a number of years ago. Laminitis during a drought in a horse that had never had problems with lush grass. I thought it was because the grass that survived the drought was white clover.

NSC is non-structural carbohydrates (starch and sugar) which is what needs to be carefully monitored in horses/ponies who have previously foundered or are at risk of foundering. At a certain level of NSC you can make any horse founder. Your biggest two (and not only of course) contributing factors to foundering are being overweight and high NSC ingestion. NSC in commercial feeds are not on feed tags but can be found out from the company. NSC in hay can be tested and NSC in hay cannot change once it's been cut and baled. Pasture on the other hand is a very scary place for a horse that has foundered as so many factors can effect the level of NSC and NSC levels can go up and down hourly. Lush grass is often a lot lower in NSC than sparse pastures because the lush pasture is healthy therefore no stress and the sparse pasture suffers high stress from trying to survive so is therefore higher in NSC. I'm not saying either though to put the horse on lush pasture as this will just put on weight quickly and can therefore cause them to founder. I am a huge believer in muzzles for horses who have previously foundered if they must be on pasture. If they are on a dirt lot, make sure it truely is a dirt lot because once on a diet they will pretty much eat anything and weeds are very high in NSC, often higher then lush pasture. The biggest preventions to take on a horse that has previously foundered is keep their weight on the thin side of perfect and eliminate as much NSC as possible in their diet, under 10% overall ration is usually safe.
#414799 - 09/17/11 08:19 PM Re: Finishing Touch - how much to feed [Re: rideaddict]
Blazer & Dusty Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Washago, ON
NSCs are evil!! monster (just 'cause it's a cool looking emoticon!!)
#414804 - 09/17/11 08:48 PM Re: Finishing Touch - how much to feed [Re: rideaddict]
*Giddy Up* Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Edmonton, AB
Thanks for describing how pasture works in regard to NSC, ATTM. I never knew that!
#415058 - 09/19/11 04:07 PM Re: Finishing Touch - how much to feed [Re: rideaddict]
Cavalo Offline
Grand Prix Member
This is very useful information, thank you! I had no idea about the NSC and the time of day ...my vet actually told me the opposite..and made her further lame (currently). Time for a new vet!
#415067 - 09/19/11 04:40 PM Re: Finishing Touch - how much to feed [Re: rideaddict]
*ATTM* Offline
Grand Prix Member
No prob!

Cavalo, this is a bad time of year right now for horses who have laminitis issues with it being cold at night and warm during the day. As far as seasons go spring is usually the worst followed by fall but sometimes fall can be just as bad as spring. Then of course all of the other factors that make NSCs go up and down monthly, weekly, daily and hourly...

Is your horse currently on pasture Cavalo? Have you eliminated as much NSC as possible in it's ration? Feel free to PM me if you like, I may be able to help a bit.

ETA: Sorry OP for hijacking... frown

Edited by *ATTM* (09/19/11 04:41 PM)
#415367 - 09/21/11 10:40 AM Re: Finishing Touch - how much to feed [Re: rideaddict]
Cavalo Offline
Grand Prix Member
ATTM, she is currently on stall rest, with no grain (just a handful of oiled equilizer to keep her happy) and soaked hay. I'll PM you more detials.
#417862 - 10/03/11 11:30 PM Re: Finishing Touch - how much to feed [Re: rideaddict]
hrslvr Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Ontario
Does anyone know how Finishing Touch compares to Flax Appeal in how much NSC it contains?

Moderator:  Tandy, tbowner 
Sponsors
Connect with us on:
Visit EMG on Facebook

Please Support our Gracious Sponsors.
RAM Equestrian Greenhawk
HFH Inc.  Henry Equestrian Plan
Best Western    Equine Canada
HorseSmart International  McKee Pownall
Green Tractors  Omega Alpha  PDI
Running Fox  Stonewood Management  System Fence
Champion Shavings  Ampot Portable Toilets  Anteres Sellier France