Topic Options
#411158 - 08/29/11 11:43 AM How to treat wind puffs?
Astar Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Ontario, Canada
My mare has been showing signs of being a little wind puffy on both her back legs. She was diagonised with Osteoarthritis in both her back hocks a few months ago. I am guessing the wind puffs are a cause from the this and are giving her inflamation and pressure in this area?
I will be getting her xrayed in the next few weeks so we know we're exactly she stands. She hasn't showned any sign of lameness for a few months now, and she on serveral vitamines to help support the fluids back in her hocks. She is retired, so she doesn't get worked or ridden. But I'd still like to keep her as comfortable as possible.
Whenever there is extrem swelling and inflamation the vet recommended I do poltice her legs, to help bring the swelling down. I have been doing the same for Wind Puffs, but I have not noticed the swelling going down, is this normal and should I keep doing this? Or what do you recommend?

Thanks
#411248 - 08/29/11 05:50 PM Re: How to treat wind puffs? [Re: Astar]
Bobthehorse Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Reading, UK
Wind puffs are just a harmless fluid build up around the tendons from general wear and tear. They shouldnt be hot, or cause lameness, and will not go down permanently. The more she moves around the less fluid buildup there will be in general, so her legs will look tighter when she has been out on pasture than after she has been stalled.

There isnt a horse on earth who has worked for a living that doesnt have them to some degree. No worries.
#411306 - 08/29/11 09:48 PM Re: How to treat wind puffs? [Re: Astar]
Critters Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Mississauga
Bobthehorse is quite correct in everything said.

Windpuffs are considered to be a blemish. If you rub the area with alcohol or a linament and wrap, the puff will be gone however the horse needs to have this done everyday. As soon as you stop, the puffs just re-appear. Horses that do not have windpuffs are few and far between. Young ones will eventually get tiny puffs and the older horses will have larger ones.

Generally, no worries about wind puffs. Here is a good article if you are interested.

Windpuffs In Horses
#411336 - 08/29/11 11:30 PM Re: How to treat wind puffs? [Re: Astar]
critterkeeper Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Chatsworth, Ontario
I agree with Bob's reply as well. I got an ottb filly a couple of years ago and was "introduced" to windpuffs. She has one front hock that the puff gets bigger and smaller on depending on her activity. Completely harmless and doesn't cause her any concern at all. I was adviced by my vet to just leave it alone.

Moderator:  Tandy, tbowner 
Sponsors
Connect with us on:
Visit EMG on Facebook

Please Support our Gracious Sponsors.
RAM Equestrian  Leons Orangeville  Greenhawk
Horseware Ireland  Henry Equestrian Plan  Synoil
Albion Golf Cars  Alberta Premium  Bahr Saddlery
Best Western  Brooks Performance Feeds  Bruno DelGrange Sellerie
Cairns  Champion Shavings  Coldwell Banker
CDW  Equestrian Factory Outlet  Equine Canada
Green Tractors  HFH Inc.  Horse Sport