Topic Options
#379451 - 03/11/11 04:28 AM Cost's to fence 2-3 acres??
Half_Halt Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Ontario
I am hoping someone could help me, before I take a trip to the lumber yard. Looking to fence about 3 acres of land for pasture use. Thinking I am wanting the 3 board wood fencing, but am considering electrobraid as well, but am leaning more towards the wood. Anymore who has fenced around the same size paddock, how much did you roughly spend? We will be doing the work ourselves ( renting the post digger).

Also, has anyone ever used used wooden boards for their paddocks? Wondering if this would be a cheaper route.. but safety is the first thing on my list.
#379463 - 03/11/11 08:09 AM Re: Cost's to fence 2-3 acres?? [Re: Half_Halt]
LMS113 Offline
Grand Prix Member
Hi there: Depending on the spacing of posts board fence may not be the expensive options you think although it does require more maintenance in painting and damage.
using 8 foot sections each section would cost about $35 - 3 boards 2x6x8 feet at approx 6.50 per board(spruce)= 19.50 + post = $10 + taxes. You'll need extra posts depending on the configuration and gates.

Refer to your manufacturer for costs per foot on electrobraid.

By my calculations the new vinyl fencing is $3.00/ foot if 3 runs and then the cost of hardware on top of that.

2x4 non-climb wire will run about $the same cost when you factor in adding a board on top for protection and visibility.

System fencing are great to work with and their catalogue and website have excellent guides for calculating your needs.
Happy digging!

#379472 - 03/11/11 09:11 AM Re: Cost's to fence 2-3 acres?? [Re: Half_Halt]
CiscoKid Offline
Grand Prix Member
You are very brave to post an inquiry such as this. It is deemed a crime on EMG to ask such questions, as you cannot possibly be fit to keep horses if you need to ask about fencing or shelters. (sarcasm intended)

face

Having said that, I sourced oak boards from a local mill (thanks to the very helpful posters on the Farm forum) and I have estimated a similar area at 5 - 10 K *do it yourself* depending on design, gates, additions etc..

We are also going to put an electric wire along the top rail.

Good luck! And happy building laugh

GSDs

Edited by iloveGSDs (03/11/11 05:39 PM)
#379474 - 03/11/11 09:19 AM Re: Cost's to fence 2-3 acres?? [Re: Half_Halt]
Luna Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Brampton
May of 2009 we fenced approx 10 acres with posts and electro braid with a 4" vinyl panel at the top for better visibility. Everything said and done (with extra left over of the electro braid was just under $8000 that including all hardware concrete for corner posts all the posts for a 100by200 arena and the solar box to power the fencing.
We used black braid and vinyl as we most often have snowmobilers and wanted to make sure they can see it in the snow. We have had no maintenance injuries or any issues with the horses either. When we looked at the costs of three board is was about 2.5 times more than the electro braid. Mind we already had the tractor and digger so we didn't have to rent any equipment and did all the work ourselves.
#379480 - 03/11/11 09:30 AM Re: Cost's to fence 2-3 acres?? [Re: Half_Halt]
n9d Offline
Preliminary Member
Loc: Mono
We fenced last year with post and rail fencing. We bought all of our supplies from Ransom Fence in Arthur (519)848-3590. We spaced at 8 feet and the cost per section (post and 3 rails) was $18.50. The fence looks great and ties in well with the split rail fence around the house.
#379482 - 03/11/11 09:41 AM Re: Cost's to fence 2-3 acres?? [Re: Half_Halt]
Churchmouse Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Mount Albert, Ontario
Spruce & pine are cheap in price but also break easy (softwood) & horses love to eat it. That's why most professional fencers use oak.
#379504 - 03/11/11 10:56 AM Re: Cost's to fence 2-3 acres?? [Re: Half_Halt]
2ndInCommand Offline
Grand Prix Member
One other way to cut down pasture fencing costs: make your pastures as square as possible.

Example (obviously this is completely unrealistic size-wise, and completely exaggerated, but you get the point):

625 square metre paddock:

Option 1: 10 metres by 62.5 metres = 145 metres of fencing

Option 2: 25 metres by 25 metres = 100 metres of fencing

Good luck!
#379514 - 03/11/11 11:47 AM Re: Cost's to fence 2-3 acres?? [Re: Half_Halt]
Aricia Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: I intend to live forever... so...
I myself used pine boards (about $3.95 per board in 8 foot lengths from Home Depot) and then painted them. Also put electric along the top rail to discourage anyone from wanting to push through or take a bite. No one has chewed anything yet and they have lasted very well over the past couple of years. Going to repaint this summer.

We did three boards along one side and then two boards along two other sides. I also had the coated wire from System so I used that on top for the sides that I did the two boards on. Drilled the cedar posts and fed the wire through it.

To be honest, I really can't remember how much I paid as I did it over a couple of months.

#379520 - 03/11/11 12:28 PM Re: Cost's to fence 2-3 acres?? [Re: Aricia]
patricia Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Selkirk, Ontario
Aricia that is expensive and pine/spruce don't weather very well. It will rot in time as we know here from experience. Previous owner cheaped out. Boards were rotting, cracking, breaking at about year 6/7. Posts made of this same material were sheered off at ground level in a winter storm in large sections.
We can get rough cut oak from a local sawmill for cheaper than your pine from Home Depot. I think we paid $2.80 per board.
#379558 - 03/11/11 02:48 PM Re: Cost's to fence 2-3 acres?? [Re: Half_Halt]
Aricia Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: I intend to live forever... so...
lol! I thought it was cheap in comparison to the oak! wink

I would actually drive to that sawmill and pick up oak boards for that price.... although, I am quite surprised at how well the fencing has been wearing so far. Thank goodness my horses are not bad on the fences (although I suspect the electric has something to do with that. wink )

Up in Muskoka here the wood seems to be more expensive as the retailers think that everyone here rolls in money. It just ain't true! :P
#379589 - 03/11/11 06:15 PM Re: Cost's to fence 2-3 acres?? [Re: Half_Halt]
barbella Offline
Grand Prix Member
I just ordered my fencing from System Fence. They have a sale on right now.
I am doing just over 2 acres.
What I ordered was 4 " top flex rail, white coated wire ,, all the hardware,etc.
It is just under $3000. That is with a top rail,, 3 strands of coated wire.
My paddock I put in when I bought the place in July is also System Fence. I was lucky enough to get it from Kijiji. This fencing has been great!!I got enough to do a 90 x 120 paddock,,bull steel gate, 48 cedar posts for $600!!
I want everything to look the same.
I am doing a pasture area,,and an area for a sand ring.
Check them out,,they have been very helpful!
#379659 - 03/12/11 08:42 AM Re: Cost's to fence 2-3 acres?? [Re: Aricia]
patricia Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Selkirk, Ontario
Originally Posted By: Aricia
lol! I thought it was cheap in comparison to the oak! wink

I would actually drive to that sawmill and pick up oak boards for that price.... although, I am quite surprised at how well the fencing has been wearing so far. Thank goodness my horses are not bad on the fences (although I suspect the electric has something to do with that. wink )

Up in Muskoka here the wood seems to be more expensive as the retailers think that everyone here rolls in money. It just ain't true! :P

Actually if you search farther north there are many sawmills and I would think very accessible and still a good price.

I'll admit though, this old farmer hasn't raised his prices in many, many years. We have almost re-done all our 4 paddocks over the 15 years we have been here.

Sponsors
Connect with us on:
Visit EMG on Facebook

Please Support our Gracious Sponsors.
RAM Equestrian  Leons Orangeville  Greenhawk
Horseware Ireland  Henry Equestrian Plan  Synoil
Albion Golf Cars  Alberta Premium  Bahr Saddlery
Best Western  Brooks Performance Feeds  Bruno DelGrange Sellerie
Cairns  Champion Shavings  Coldwell Banker
CDW  Equestrian Factory Outlet  Equine Canada
Green Tractors  HFH Inc.  Horse Sport
HorseSmart InternationalIQ Footing  McKee Pownall