Topic Options
#332686 - 08/14/10 06:55 PM Tank heaters
MBF Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Guelph
I am wondering if anyone on here has ever head of "cordless" water trough heaters for winter?
#332925 - 08/15/10 05:23 PM Re: Tank heaters [Re: MBF]
Lavender Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: GTA
Last year I found a product online called Sun Tanks. If you do a google search, there are many places in the states and out west that sell them. http://www.horsesonly.com/suntanks/info.htm
The price + shipping was too costly for me.
#333440 - 08/16/10 10:24 PM Re: Tank heaters [Re: Lavender]
MBF Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Guelph
yes that looks like it would be very expensive to ship.
maybe we will just get REALLY long extension cords
#333750 - 08/17/10 03:58 PM Re: Tank heaters [Re: MBF]
Aricia Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: I intend to live forever... so...
I just use long extension cords and they run the heated water bucket (with the coil in the bottom of the bucket IN the plastic) and the heater element that screws into the bottom of a tub.
They all say don't use extension cords, but I don't exactly have hydro running out to my fields. wink Never had any issues with it and just make sure I use the surge protector thingees as well. Not sure if that does anything, but hey...
#351637 - 10/24/10 03:05 PM Re: Tank heaters [Re: MBF]
Lisette Offline
Grand Prix Member
I need to find a trough heater without electricity. there has to be something? Some kind of solar water heater that doesn't cost the earth
#351645 - 10/24/10 05:05 PM Re: Tank heaters [Re: Lisette]
patricia Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Selkirk, Ontario, Canada
I highly doubt solar power will be enough to keep ice thawed in the tubs in our Ontario weather. If you find anything let us know. smile
#351925 - 10/26/10 02:25 AM Re: Tank heaters [Re: MBF]
Lisette Offline
Grand Prix Member
Thats what I was wondering, I am doing some research though and theres a few innovative ideas, just hate those cords running everywhere!
#351946 - 10/26/10 08:34 AM Re: Tank heaters [Re: MBF]
riverdale Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Ontario, Canada
You'd need a massive solar panel in order to power a tank heater. Heating elements draw a tremendous amount of power. We put in underground water lines and electrical lines and Nelson automatic insulated water bowls with a small heating element. They also use Geothermal heat to supplement. Expensive, but worth it.

I have a couple paddocks where we fill up smaller watertroughs several times a day. If the troughs are insulated that helps too. We had one of those 1/2 plastic barrels and put it on some insulation foam and had it inside the run in shed out of the wind, that helped a lot.
#351972 - 10/26/10 09:53 AM Re: Tank heaters [Re: riverdale]
patricia Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Selkirk, Ontario, Canada
I don't know if it will come up if you google but my farrier recommended something.
I recall vaguely reading about it online somewhere. You build a wooden box and insulation around your water barrel. You put a cover over top at night. They said it really helped. I imagine they would fill with warm water to keep it from freezing.
#352035 - 10/26/10 02:07 PM Re: Tank heaters [Re: MBF]
DynamiteGold Offline
Grand Prix Member
There is instructions somewhere on the internet on how to bulid an insulated box to put around your water trough. I remember last winter wanting to build one, but never got around to it. I am going to try to this year though!!

found em!

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/WaterHeating/SteveTank/SteveTank.htm
#352457 - 10/28/10 02:56 PM Re: Tank heaters [Re: MBF]
Manestream Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Orangeville, Ontario
DG - what a great link! I have the Bob Troughs which are solar and which work great BUT man were they expensive. Not just to buy but also to ship up to Ontario. I think my all in cost PER trough was around $750 and that was with an order of four of them so I saved on the shipping, brokerage etc. If you wanted to go that route I highly recommend them, but the tank retrofit that Steve outlines on his website has alot of the features that the Bob Trough has.
#352559 - 10/29/10 12:54 AM Re: Tank heaters [Re: MBF]
Lisette Offline
Grand Prix Member
Awesome link DG!!! Thank-you. Printed out for my hubby to peruse. Manestream do you have a link for the Bob Troughs just in case hubby can't find the the time to build me one smile
#352627 - 10/29/10 01:55 PM Re: Tank heaters [Re: MBF]
Tickety Boo Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Ontario
Here's our new solution to the ongoing winter water situation.

We bought econo energy free waterers on sale (they are just insulated, no heat) and then purchased the heater and thermostat separately and installed them ourselves.
Much cheaper than buying the heated water bowls.

I can't believe we won't have to fuss with floating heaters and troughs this winter smile

#362108 - 12/15/10 10:27 AM Re: Tank heaters [Re: MBF]
Gallop Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Janetville, Ontario
DynamiteGold my husband built one of the insulted water troughs as per the site you quoted.

We love it!!!!!

Used a black 100 gallon rubbermaid trough, completely insulated under, around and ontop of it, leaving a 1'x1' square hole on top with a door we close at night. Put a heating element in where the plug normally goes. Horses come in at night and then we shut the lid, unplug the heater. In the morning an hour before I turn them back out I replug the heater and the thin layer of ice that formed overnight in -30 is melted.
Only comment my hubby had was that if he builds another one for me he'll use the new outdoor roxel insulation to warp around it instead of the spray foam.
Love it! Love it! Love it!
#362418 - 12/16/10 08:10 PM Re: Tank heaters [Re: Manestream]
Lucy Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Manestream
DG - what a great link! I have the Bob Troughs which are solar and which work great BUT man were they expensive. Not just to buy but also to ship up to Ontario. I think my all in cost PER trough was around $750 and that was with an order of four of them so I saved on the shipping, brokerage etc. If you wanted to go that route I highly recommend them, but the tank retrofit that Steve outlines on his website has alot of the features that the Bob Trough has.

manestream were these the ones made in Utah? There was a review of them in a recent Horse Journal - they looked great, but expensive. I can't even imagine what the s/h would be from Utah.
#362423 - 12/16/10 08:29 PM Re: Tank heaters [Re: MBF]
barbella Offline
Grand Prix Member
I bought a tank heater which goes into the drain plug in a Rubbermaid trough.
I have had it for approx 3 weeks. It has been going 24/7 for a week or so,,working great. This am the water was frozen. Of course I had to break the ice with a hammer,,then off to work hoping it was ok. So tonite,,same thing. I checked the plug,,it works,, extension works,,so what gives??
Pain in the ass! Anybody have any same issue? I filled the tank yesterday afternoon,,was working fine till this am. I actually took some water out of it tonite to see if it was too full? Of course I go to work in the dark,,and come home in the dark,,so hard to check the actual unit in the bottom, I put my hand down in the water and nothing!!
It is from Tsc store.

Edited by barbella (12/16/10 08:34 PM)
#362426 - 12/16/10 08:41 PM Re: Tank heaters [Re: barbella]
mt1 Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: guelph
We bought the eco energy free troughs and found that the covers would freeze shut . We filled them by the bucket instead of a ground water source so maybe that was why but those flaps froze even before it got cold enough that I needed heaters in the other troughs. Glad I only bought one. We'll try it again next year when we can hook it up to a ground source. I'm wondering though if even the snow or rain would freeze those flaps. Is it still working OK for you Tickety-Boo? We put ours away for the winter.
#362546 - 12/17/10 02:52 PM Re: Tank heaters [Re: MBF]
Tickety Boo Offline
Grand Prix Member
So far the energy free waterers haven't frozen, and we haven't installed the heater and thermostat parts yet. I would like to put them in regardless because it's only been down to -20, I know it will get closer to -30 in another month or so and I hate defrosting stuff!

I think they are different than yours mt1

http://www.spiplastics.com/agricultural/electric/ee10ngsm.jpg
#362570 - 12/17/10 05:03 PM Re: Tank heaters [Re: barbella]
sixhorses/wolfhounds Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Coldwater
I have found that it is completely hit and miss as to the quality of the water heaters at Princess Auto, TSC and etcetera. One will work for three seasons and the next will give up the ghost in a month.
Truly frustrating. You can take it back if you have kept your receipt, but I know how much work the whole process is. Perhaps someone could chime in with a particular brand that works well?
I know that I bought new heaters this year and have already had to replace one. The other appears to be fine... sigh.

sixhorses/wolfhounds
#362578 - 12/17/10 05:42 PM Re: Tank heaters [Re: MBF]
DynamiteGold Offline
Grand Prix Member
I just had to replace my tank heater again yesterday. This will be the 3rd one I have replaced in less than a year. Im lucky I saved my receipt and the tack store I got it from exchanged it no problem each time!
#362610 - 12/17/10 08:51 PM Re: Tank heaters [Re: Aricia]
Noodle Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: here
Originally Posted By: Aricia
I just use long extension cords and they run the heated water bucket (with the coil in the bottom of the bucket IN the plastic) and the heater element that screws into the bottom of a tub.
They all say don't use extension cords, but I don't exactly have hydro running out to my fields. wink Never had any issues with it and just make sure I use the surge protector thingees as well. Not sure if that does anything, but hey...

so I use an extension cord too...Last week I went to unplug heater from cord so that I could scrub the tank. I grabbed the plug and noticed it felt rather warm. I tried to pull it apart, but could not. I took a good look and the plugs had melted together with some kind of white material!
I went up to the house and pulled out the cord; the socket has brown singe marks, and the prongs have a greyish tinge, that definately look like there was some kind of surge.
What I don't get is why the heater still works and why didn't the house burn down? Don't get me wrong, I am so happy I did not torch my mother's house. But what the heck?

I want a solar heater.
#362747 - 12/18/10 06:52 PM Re: Tank heaters [Re: MBF]
barbella Offline
Grand Prix Member
Tonite,, I took the tank heater out of the drain plug on my Rubbermaid tank to take back to Tsc tomorrow.
Looks like one of the 2 elements has an area which has a crack or something in it?
It seems that only one of the elements of the 4 is working? They are in a " U " shape.
What could have happened to it??
Anybody have any ideas??

#362750 - 12/18/10 07:03 PM Re: Tank heaters [Re: MBF]
Tired Mom Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Queensville, Ont. Can.
Noodle the same thing happened to me last year. I noticed the snow around the plugs was black and when I looked closer I saw the plugs had melted and of course nothing worked. I replaced the plug and low and behold the heater still worked. I wrapped the join of the extension cord and the heater cord with duct tape (which I hadn't done) and did not have anymore problems. I wrapped all of my heater joins this year and so far so good-I have 3 heated tanks all with extension cords.
#362754 - 12/18/10 07:15 PM Re: Tank heaters [Re: MBF]
riverdale Offline
Grand Prix Member
You need to make sure you use a good quality heavy duty extension cord for those tank heaters. If not, the cords and the plugs will overheat and become a fire hazard. Cords have a capacity rating...so you should be able to calculate whether a cord has enough capacity for the heating element.
#363581 - 12/23/10 07:10 PM Re: Tank heaters [Re: Tickety Boo]
mt1 Offline
Grand Prix Member
Tickety -Boo

Yep, your tank is different than mine. I have the one with double watering holes with flaps covering those holes. Are you getting your water from a ground source or filling it up by pails. Just wondering that maybe the ground source water is warmer and if you have a number of horses drinking from it that the water will always be pulled up from below the ground where it is warmer. We only have a couple of horses drinking from ours and the salesman said your type wouldn't work for us because there wouldn't be enough water changeover. I'd be interested in hearing how many horses drink from yours and if it is water from below ground . Thanks in advance.
#365323 - 01/03/11 11:16 AM Re: Tank heaters [Re: MBF]
Tickety Boo Offline
Grand Prix Member
mt1 - we have three ponies on week days plus two drafts on weekends. So during the week, it's not a lot of traffic, but it is ground water and that will make a bit of a difference.

We had an issue just before this thaw with the pipe that comes up under the bowl freezing, it's about 3ft up. It's insulated with rigid but that was not enough so we ran a piece of heat trace on a switch/thermostat so it turns on at 0C. Also installed the heat pad and thermostat in the bowl. If the bowl sat closer to the ground the heat trace wouldn't be necessary, but I see it as a hazard. Perhaps if it were outside it would be okay but in a run-in where there can be pushing and shoving, I don't want to chance it....oh and having a pony who likes to play in water doesn't help either.

Why are you filling yours with buckets?
#365402 - 01/03/11 06:48 PM Re: Tank heaters [Re: Tickety Boo]
mt1 Offline
Grand Prix Member
Tickety-Boo,

We didn't have time to connect them to a ground source of water before the weather turned which is why I'm filling the troughs by pails.We have hydrants to all the paddocks so it's only a short walk with the pails. My eco-type I have put away and am using the heated tubs in 2 paddocks and bottom heaters in 3 other troughs. Waiting to see our first hydro bill on this with the Smartmeter going now.

Moderator:  Matteez, Tandy 
Sponsors
Connect with us on:
Visit EMG on Facebook

Please Support our Gracious Sponsors.
RAM Equestrian Greenhawk
HFH Inc.  Henry Equestrian Plan
Best Western    Equine Canada
HorseSmart International  McKee Pownall
Green Tractors  Omega Alpha  PDI
Running Fox  Stonewood Management  System Fence
Champion Shavings  Ampot Portable Toilets  Anteres Sellier France