Topic Options
#195679 - 09/09/09 10:57 PM Mount Forest Fur and Feather Fall Festival
StarTinyJet Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Guelph area
A friend of mine wanted me to ask if anyone knows what the date is for the Fur and Feather Festival happening in Mount Forest this fall? thanks

Edited by StarTinyJet (09/09/09 10:58 PM)
Edit Reason: Spelling
#195869 - 09/10/09 12:13 PM Re: Mount Forest Fur and Feather Fall Festival [Re: StarTinyJet]
Tickety Boo Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Ontario
First Sunday in October at the new rec. Complex (not at the old fairgrounds).

A friend and I are also hitting up the Huronia Fur and Feather at Burl's Creek (Barrie) can't wait!

(Oh, buyer beware...you really never know what you're getting there. It's like an animal flea market...not the greatest idea for the unknowledgable or soft hearted lol!
#195900 - 09/10/09 01:14 PM Re: Mount Forest Fur and Feather Fall Festival [Re: Tickety Boo]
StarTinyJet Offline
Grand Prix Member
Oh You dont have to tell me !!!....went to my first one in the spring ...even after quarentining the chickesn I bought my whole flock got a sickness....never again ..am I going to buy chickens ....that are older ......okay can i uncross my fingers now ...well maybe if I see a baby pot belly piggy...or maybe one of those big honking ducks no pund attended....thanks so much for replying she lives up in Conn and she told me last night everyone is talking about it but not saying the date and where is being held...
#195942 - 09/10/09 03:19 PM Re: Mount Forest Fur and Feather Fall Festival [Re: StarTinyJet]
briarhalo Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Clifford,ON
Hehe, you never know what you will find there. I'll never forget the one year there was a cute little weanling that a lady wanted to sell, but absolutely covered in dry manure, caked on! She was asking someone what the best way to get it off was....hmm, cleaning your stall once in awhile? Ughhh, it was gross....didn't have my barn yet, or else.....:)
#195953 - 09/10/09 03:43 PM Re: Mount Forest Fur and Feather Fall Festival [Re: briarhalo]
StarTinyJet Offline
Grand Prix Member
The first fur and Feather I went to was this past spring ...it was raining and cold ...I'll never forget it because my girlfriend that just bought some land/house up that way had bought her young granddaughter a baby Pot Belly Pig and just the look on her granddaughters face was priceless and her granddaughter walking around with this little piggy in her coat ..The pig is loved ...he's a lucky boy ...But on the other hand i remember looking at these chickens that were covered in feces in a dark dirty cage ...ugh.....
#195967 - 09/10/09 04:20 PM Re: Mount Forest Fur and Feather Fall Festival [Re: StarTinyJet]
briarhalo Offline
Grand Prix Member
We used to live just down the street from there, before we bought the farm, went every year. Some years, the cutest puppies too. Like I said, you never know what will turn up! And the way they were transported...to and from..sheesh!
#196100 - 09/11/09 07:36 AM Re: Mount Forest Fur and Feather Fall Festival [Re: briarhalo]
Tickety Boo Offline
Grand Prix Member
So I'm really confused as to the location. Ad for the new complex says it's there but newspaper ad says it's at the fairgrounds.
Well at least it's a small enough town that you can just look for all the cars smile
#196567 - 09/12/09 10:41 PM Re: Mount Forest Fur and Feather Fall Festival [Re: Tickety Boo]
Jumpage Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: A resort town, ON Canada
When is the one at Burl's Creek? Will it or Mt Forest be bigger do you think?
#196595 - 09/13/09 06:26 AM Re: Mount Forest Fur and Feather Fall Festival [Re: Jumpage]
Shuffle Offline
Grand Prix Member
Originally Posted By: Jumpage
When is the one at Burl's Creek? Will it or Mt Forest be bigger do you think?

Burl Creek is Sept 27, and is smaller than Mt. Forest I think. They don't really know who will show up or with what. smile

For anyone new to this (like I was last year), the flea market comments are right on, but if you take a big walk around before buying anything, you'll see who is best to buy from. There were some great knowledgeable people who were very helpful. We got 2 kinds of ducks, chickens, a really sweet rooster, and a few other critters. Not one has been ill or died. I would certainly quarantine anything new though. smile
#202941 - 10/02/09 08:37 AM Re: Mount Forest Fur and Feather Fall Festival [Re: Shuffle]
Bear Offline
Grand Prix Member
Does anyone know what time it runs for?
Thanks
#202944 - 10/02/09 08:43 AM Re: Mount Forest Fur and Feather Fall Festival [Re: briarhalo]
Shuffle Offline
Grand Prix Member
Originally Posted By: briarhalo
Like I said, you never know what will turn up! And the way they were transported...to and from..sheesh!

No kidding! Last week I saw a Llama, goats and a sheep in a regular van. And there are all kinds of homemade or modified things that you wouldn't think would be legal.

Here is the ad from the Mount Forest Chamber of Commerce.
Saugeen Fur & Feather Fancier Show
Sunday October 4th
7AM - Noon
at Fairgrounds (King St E)
#202984 - 10/02/09 09:48 AM Re: Mount Forest Fur and Feather Fall Festival [Re: Shuffle]
GruffPastures Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Elora, ON
Llamas travel well in mini vans, you just have to keep them in the far back so they can't reach the radio.

Shuffle do you recall seeing Indian Runner ducks there last time? The ones that look like bowling pins?
#202995 - 10/02/09 10:25 AM Re: Mount Forest Fur and Feather Fall Festival [Re: GruffPastures]
Shuffle Offline
Grand Prix Member
Definitely! There are lots of Indian Runners. The first time we went we got Apple Yards, handsome fellows who are prolific egg layers. The second time we got a few Muscovies. They like bugs. I don't know anything about Indian Runners, but there have been lots.

I wish people who were going would advertise a little more. Though I do see the odd ad in the Super Shopper or on kijiji. It is nice to know what is going to be there. I will take a few bunnies (mini rex) and possibly a few ducks. I think it will be a little too cozy in the barn this winter....
#203212 - 10/02/09 08:56 PM Re: Mount Forest Fur and Feather Fall Festival [Re: Bear]
-karma- Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Toronto, ON
Originally Posted By: Bear
Does anyone know what time it runs for?
Thanks

It runs from 7am to noon
http://www.mountforest.ca/specialEvents.php

#203264 - 10/02/09 11:58 PM Re: Mount Forest Fur and Feather Fall Festival [Re: Bear]
critterkeeper Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Chatsworth, Ontario
7 a.m till noon I believe.
#203747 - 10/04/09 07:59 PM Re: Mount Forest Fur and Feather Fall Festival [Re: critterkeeper]
Shuffle Offline
Grand Prix Member
Well did anyone go but me? I sold 10 ducks and a bunny and only bought one duck and a pheasant. Does that make me a farmer? I was sad to see a few "puppy" mills going, but there were lots of nice people with good healthy animals. The chap beside me was a jumper rider so I had someone to chat to. smile It is unbelievable how many people are there. Mostly vendors, but they also trade and buy.
#203845 - 10/05/09 06:06 AM Re: Mount Forest Fur and Feather Fall Festival [Re: Shuffle]
blacktrox Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Acton, Ontario, Canada
We went! My husband spent more time talking to fellow parrot people than I did looking for something new to add to the farm. frown

Turns out I should have taken some birds though, since my turkeys put the others in the shade, but I somehow doubt they would have fetched anywhere near what I want for them. (Getting them there and containing them, again, would have been the hard part.)

I was surprised at the variety of animals for sale as well. (Ducks and chickens were going for free toward the end, but you had to buy a llama in order to qualify for this particular bargain.)
#203860 - 10/05/09 08:12 AM Re: Mount Forest Fur and Feather Fall Festival [Re: blacktrox]
StarTinyJet Offline
Grand Prix Member
Well we went ....I carried around a small cat carrier hoping it would curse me into not buying anything ...I really dont need anymore chickens .....But I bought a trio of Spanguled hamburg hens and Roo ....very pretty ....and a big ole white Mama hen and six chicks .....ended up I had to find another box.....
#203886 - 10/05/09 09:26 AM Re: Mount Forest Fur and Feather Fall Festival [Re: StarTinyJet]
Tickety Boo Offline
Grand Prix Member
No kidding about the turkeys! For the end of the summer, a lot of the poultry looked pretty sad. Since we're pretty full up (and the white call duck selection was lacking) I didn't get anything. Kind of wished I took some of my turkeys too, but really - I'd have to get up at 5am and somehow get them there in good shape smile
#203892 - 10/05/09 09:41 AM Re: Mount Forest Fur and Feather Fall Festival [Re: Tickety Boo]
briarhalo Offline
Grand Prix Member
Sheesh....I forgot all about it....and I live there! Go figure!
#203926 - 10/05/09 11:13 AM Re: Mount Forest Fur and Feather Fall Festival [Re: briarhalo]
Magenta Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Stratford
shuffle
did you happen to sell ten chickens to a blond haired lady with a 6 year old boy and a 1 yr old girl? If so they are at my sister in laws place! She informed us all last night at supper she bought some chickens for eggs and that one laid a egg in the van on the way home! LOL
#203939 - 10/05/09 11:42 AM Re: Mount Forest Fur and Feather Fall Festival [Re: Magenta]
Shuffle Offline
Grand Prix Member
Originally Posted By: Magenta
shuffle
did you happen to sell ten chickens to a blond haired lady with a 6 year old boy and a 1 yr old girl? If so they are at my sister in laws place! She informed us all last night at supper she bought some chickens for eggs and that one laid a egg in the van on the way home! LOL

No. I took only ducks. I kept all my chickens. Her kids will love gathering eggs! laugh
#203960 - 10/05/09 12:53 PM Re: Mount Forest Fur and Feather Fall Festival [Re: Shuffle]
Rachel Overland Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Rockwood,Ont,Canada
We went too! Didn't buy anthing as we don't really "need" anything but we did pack the kitty carrier just in case! My mom was eager for some fancy finches but we decided to take a card from the breeder for a later date as we were afraid our $70/each fancy finches might kick the bucket considering how cold it was? No one else think the same about the small birds and parrots??? Those puppy mill folks make me ill...those poor little things. Many of them we so cold too...My 3 year old wanted all the puppies and kittens even though we have a kitten at home already. I would have brought home the weanling jenny had her price tag not been $1500. Also kinda had my eye's open for a potbelly piglet but the ones there were big and unhandled. Control, control...

Moderator:  Matteez, Tandy 
Sponsors
Connect with us on:
Visit EMG on Facebook

Please Support our Gracious Sponsors.
RAM Equestrian Greenhawk
HFH Inc.  Henry Equestrian Plan
Best Western    Equine Canada
HorseSmart International  McKee Pownall
Green Tractors  Omega Alpha  PDI
Running Fox  Stonewood Management  System Fence
Champion Shavings  Ampot Portable Toilets  Anteres Sellier France