Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#155578 - 05/05/09 03:05 PM ideas for outdoor hay feeder
Dancinghorses Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Ontario, Canada
I have a paddock full of VERY high energy geldings who can find ways to injure themselves on thin air, so I have been reluctant to put any kind of a hay feeder in their paddock.
However, after having spent 2 solid days raking up about $150. worth of wasted hay from my paddock (never mind all the back braking labour), I need to put some kind of a feeder in.
Unfortunately we use the large square (coffin) bales of hay so a bale buddy won't work. I don't want to put in anything with any kind of squared edges that they will for sure injure themselves on or anything they can get caught on. Does anyone have any great suggestions?
#155593 - 05/05/09 03:33 PM Re: ideas for outdoor hay feeder [Re: Dancinghorses]
ride on Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Georgetown, Ontario, Canada
When hay is fed in great quantities, horses tend to pick through to eat only the best.

Put out a few flakes and spread them apart, one more than the horses. The horses will move from pile to pile and perhaps that will help you have less waste.

True, it's extra labour, but would it be 15 hours @ $10/hr. as you have just thrown out in wasted hay?
#155610 - 05/05/09 04:32 PM Re: ideas for outdoor hay feeder [Re: ride on]
Lynda Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Guelph, Ontario, Canada
I was going to say try the hay optimizer but it is square, they do save hay waste. How about checking www.hiqualmfg.com, they have a ground feeder that is round that might interest you.
#155794 - 05/06/09 07:56 AM Re: ideas for outdoor hay feeder [Re: Lynda]
lacober52 Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: guelph ontario canada
Try the Hay House from www.duplessishorsefeeder.com
The large one takes big squares...we have save hundreds of dollars in wasted hay and the horses do not fight with each other at the feeder. We have used them now for two winters and are very satisfied, in fact we are buying two more with the money we saved in wasted hay!
#155934 - 05/06/09 01:14 PM Re: ideas for outdoor hay feeder [Re: lacober52]
Lynda Offline
Grand Prix Member
What size animals do you have? Wondered if med/lg ponies could use them. Would love to see one in use.
#156073 - 05/06/09 07:31 PM Re: ideas for outdoor hay feeder [Re: Lynda]
Dancinghorses Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Ontario, Canada
I actually decided this past winter not to put out hay in large quantities but to do as you suggested, ride on, and put out smaller quantities (7 piles for my 5 horses) more frequently, and STILL they made a huge mess of things!!

So I will have to try and invest in some kind of feeder and will definitely check out the websites that Lynda and lacober52 recommended!

Thanks for the suggestions!
#156206 - 05/07/09 09:03 AM Re: ideas for outdoor hay feeder [Re: Dancinghorses]
2littletime Online
Grand Prix Member
Loc: stouffville
I have found that wrapping the big bales with plastic snow fence to work great. You can adjust it by just tying it tighter as they eat it down.
#156646 - 05/08/09 07:59 AM Re: ideas for outdoor hay feeder [Re: 2littletime]
lacober52 Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: guelph ontario canada
I run a large boarding facility, currently I have an Icelandic , a medium pony and a yearling QH filly eating from a hay house with no problems at all. I find the hay house to be safer than the metal feeders and not difficult to use as shown in the website. No rubs and nothing for halters to catch on either.
#156705 - 05/08/09 10:55 AM Re: ideas for outdoor hay feeder [Re: lacober52]
Critters Online
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Mississauga
I have done that as well - wrapped the orange plastic snowfence around the circumference of the round bale. Wonderful!! As the round became smaller I just tighten up the snow fence. All it took was a bit of trusty old binder twine. laugh
#156885 - 05/08/09 08:56 PM Re: ideas for outdoor hay feeder [Re: Critters]
Tiger Paws Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Strathroy, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Critters
I have done that as well - wrapped the orange plastic snowfence around the circumference of the round bale. Wonderful!! As the round became smaller I just tighten up the snow fence. All it took was a bit of trusty old binder twine. laugh

Did this actually reduce the amount of waste?

I have never wanted to spend the money on a hay feeder, as every one I have ever seen out in a field has just as much hay on the outside of it, as it does on the inside of it. I guess no one bother to tell the darn horses they weren't suppose to pull the hay out of the feeder...LOL

To the OP, another thing I have seen someone do, is put 4 chainlink gates in a square around the big square bales.
#156896 - 05/08/09 09:26 PM Re: ideas for outdoor hay feeder [Re: Tiger Paws]
minidonks Offline
Grand Prix Member
I use an eight foot section of my paddock I attached a 10 ft board at top and bottom then 4ft long slats 3 ft apart (measured shoulder width) I place the round bale on the outside and horses just reach in and eat. I have tired everything and this work great, no wastage.
#157064 - 05/09/09 01:43 PM Re: ideas for outdoor hay feeder [Re: Tiger Paws]
2littletime Online
Grand Prix Member
Loc: stouffville
I have used the fence for 6 or 7 yrs, both in the summer and winter and its great. I don't find that much waste. Because you keep tightening the plastic fence as it gets eaten there is not the 'loose' room to toss.
The plastic fence is about 50 and you can get enough for 3 bales. You can even wrap the fence around twice, to make it that much harder for them to get out.
#157154 - 05/09/09 09:14 PM Re: ideas for outdoor hay feeder [Re: 2littletime]
tagteam Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Stouffvile,Ontario,Canada
2littletime can you post pictures so I can see what you do? It sounds like something I might try.
#157168 - 05/09/09 10:20 PM Re: ideas for outdoor hay feeder [Re: Tiger Paws]
Maureen Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Hagersville, On , Can
The Duplessis 'hay huts' are great! I am on my second year of using two of them and they really cut down on hay being wasted due to weather and trampling. I highly recommend them.
#157203 - 05/10/09 06:13 AM Re: ideas for outdoor hay feeder [Re: Maureen]
tagteam Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Stouffvile,Ontario,Canada
My fear with the Duplessis huts are that a horse will have his head inside and another will come and bite him. When they are at an open feeder they can just turn and run away. I have several very silly OTTB's and I fear they will find some way of breaking their necks with it.

Edited by tagteam (05/10/09 06:14 AM)
#157220 - 05/10/09 08:45 AM Re: ideas for outdoor hay feeder [Re: tagteam]
Maureen Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Hagersville, On , Can
Originally Posted By: tagteam
My fear with the Duplessis huts are that a horse will have his head inside and another will come and bite him. When they are at an open feeder they can just turn and run away. I have several very silly OTTB's and I fear they will find some way of breaking their necks with it.

Mine are all OTTB mares, and I have never had a problem. Give your horses a little more credit! LOL
#158883 - 05/15/09 12:43 AM Re: ideas for outdoor hay feeder [Re: Maureen]
mt1 Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: guelph
This past winter we bought 2 well tiles from a pre cast concrete place and put the hay inside them . I think they were 84 dollars each. Love them. They are round so no sharp corners, concrete so indestructible, solid top to bottom so no feet can get caught in them.Horses don't chew them and the wind doesn't blow them away. They are 36 inches in diameter so don't know if you could put round bales in but we use small squares and could probably put 3-4 squares in each one.
Sure saved on hay this year and no mess to clean up in the spring.
#170635 - 06/22/09 11:49 PM Re: ideas for outdoor hay feeder [Re: Tiger Paws]
Tamarack Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: R.R. 3 Schomberg ON
Hey Lynda...just figured out who you are.

We have two Duplessis feeders at Tamarack Hills Farm. You were at our farm last summer with your husband. Come by any time to see them. They are in our back fields.
#170977 - 06/23/09 11:36 PM Re: ideas for outdoor hay feeder [Re: Tamarack]
Lynda Offline
Grand Prix Member
Tamarack, have not been in your area for some time, thanks, if we are would love to check them out.
#171737 - 06/26/09 01:49 PM Re: ideas for outdoor hay feeder [Re: Lynda]
Stonecroft Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Mt Albert, Ontario, Canada
One thing that finally worked for us is to put out **huge** used tractor tires (drill holes in the bottom to allow drainage). The really big ones fit one full small square bale. We have 1 per every two horses.

Nobody has gotten hurt (rubber is great!), they're round, the hay waste outside has been minimal, easy to move around if you're so inclined

...now we're looking for more to put in our other paddocks
#172093 - 06/28/09 07:17 PM Re: ideas for outdoor hay feeder [Re: Stonecroft]
KSA Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Niagara
I've been looking at a new option but for round bales. We have a round bale feeder that looks similar to this one http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com/pictures/files/1/0/8/5/6/7_BALE_FEEDER_W-HORSE.jpg however in the years of having it never had a problem. A somewhat new boarder though keeps getting into it. The first time she got stuck between the round pieces and we had to cut it off to get her out. We figured ok, we'll leave it off but now she's always in it and it's getting damaged. She comes out unscathed.

I was talking to the owner and she is willing to purchase a new one since it's her horse that is getting stuck, however I said I would pay for half. I am trying to find one that she cannot get into, she had to have lifted her front end over the round pieces to get in. I don't want to opt for the bale buddy as they only last a certain amount of time from what I heard. In my head I'm thinking of something that looks like this http://www.tmbauman.com/images/br_5.jpg or http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/livestock/horses/facts/06-075f1.GIF Has anyone used or seen one like these?
#173759 - 07/03/09 06:26 PM Re: ideas for outdoor hay feeder [Re: KSA]
drumdoch23 Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Canada
I have seen this used with GREAT success. If I could figure out how to do it, I'd have them at my place. --- Its a big used tractor tire (the gigantic kind) turned inside out so there is nowhere for water to pool, and no hidey-holes for feet to find should a horse decide to put a toe in there. also, since the inside hollow part disappears when you turn it inside out, the hay won't pack in there so therefore, less waste.
#173795 - 07/03/09 08:41 PM Re: ideas for outdoor hay feeder [Re: drumdoch23]
prospect Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: port perry, ontario canada
We are going to try something I saw - we are going to sink four long posts in the ground - put a roof on it and side rails - on side will have the rails come out and we will put the bales in there.

Will let you know how it works.
#177081 - 07/14/09 10:44 AM Re: ideas for outdoor hay feeder [Re: 2littletime]
Wishful_Rider Offline
Preliminary Member
Thank you!! Thank you!! We just wrapped our round bales this past weekend with the snow fence and it works fantastic! Even the 12 hand pony can get hers out as well. Super idea and cheap!
#177097 - 07/14/09 11:10 AM Re: ideas for outdoor hay feeder [Re: Wishful_Rider]
ride on Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Georgetown, Ontario, Canada
Too bad we couldn't load round bales onto a giant paper towel holder and the horses could just tear off what they need. smile

I actually hate metal bale holders because I don't like them in thunder/lightening storms.
#206281 - 10/11/09 10:25 PM Re: ideas for outdoor hay feeder [Re: ride on]
elissaba Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Mount Albert, Ontario
We use the orange plastic snow fence as well. Has worked wonderfully so far as long as the horses aren't shod. My friend just brought home a new mare who has front shoes on and I guess she must have been pawing at the bale. The girls found her with a piece of the snow fence wedged in her shoe. I guess while pawing she got her foot caught and the pulled until the plastic fence broke!!! Thankfully the shoe is still on solid and she has not injuries whatsover but the outcome could have been much worse.

I'm not saying "don't use them" as we have never had a problem and continue to use them. Just giving you a heads up in case you have goofy ones in the field!! LOL
#206328 - 10/12/09 07:58 AM Re: ideas for outdoor hay feeder [Re: elissaba]
Saddlebagz Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Mulmur Ontario Canada
I have used the used the one pictured. But we switched to the Big Bale buddy. I love it it keeps it contained and I can roll it around in a shed or leave it outside. You can find them on line.
#207881 - 10/16/09 01:10 AM Re: ideas for outdoor hay feeder [Re: Saddlebagz]
palomino1 Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Springbrook, Ontario
We're making a round bale platform for our rounds we're getting. Hexagonal kind of, out of rounded cedar posts bolted together, then deck boards on top of that with a gap between them like a regular deck so the water can drain away... Corners are rounded off, and the bale covers the platform.
#208678 - 10/18/09 04:57 PM Re: ideas for outdoor hay feeder [Re: drumdoch23]
King_Hill Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Bolton
How do you turn the tractor tires inside-out? Doesn't seem like it's that easy.
#209055 - 10/19/09 01:29 PM Re: ideas for outdoor hay feeder [Re: King_Hill]
Tickety Boo Offline
Grand Prix Member
Loc: Ontario
Just leave the tire out with a couple geldings. They'll have it turned inside out for you in no time! smile
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Matteez, Tandy 
Sponsors
Connect with us on:
Visit EMG on Facebook

Please Support our Gracious Sponsors.
RAM Equestrian  Leons Orangeville  Greenhawk
Horseware Ireland  Henry Equestrian Plan  Synoil
Albion Golf Cars  Alberta Premium  Bahr Saddlery
Best Western  Brooks Performance Feeds  Bruno DelGrange Sellerie
Cairns  Champion Shavings  Coldwell Banker
CDW  Equestrian Factory Outlet  Equine Canada